Those who continue to work for the same media organization and wish to renew their media visa, work permit and press card.
Log in to the MMOS account and complete an application form for “Renew Application” at least one month but not more than two months before the media visa expires. A list of required documents can be found here.
Application in consideration. The Department of Information will determine each application based on the information submitted including the sample of works in the past year and in accordance with the Guidelines of Issuing Non-immigrant Visa Category “M”.. The applicant will be notified of the decision through the MMOS system and his/her designated email. If deemed necessary, an interview may be scheduled with the applicant to assist with the decision making.
If the applicant’s media visa has not expired, skip to Step 4
Obtaining the media visa. Upon the approval of the application, the applicant will be given a reference number to be used when applying for a new media visa under the new organization at the designated Royal Thai Embassy/Royal Thai Consulate-General. Upon entry into Thailand using the media visa, the applicant will have to log in to his/her MMOS account and upload the clearly scanned copy of his/her media visa and entry stamp from the Immigration Bureau.
Obtaining the accreditation letters. Upon the approval of the application, three accreditation letters will be issued to the applicant so he/she can renew the necessary documents required for working in Thailand as an accredited member of the media, namely:
Extension of visa and period of stay
a letter addressed to the Immigration Bureau, Royal Thai Police, requesting an extension of the applicant’s visa and period of stay to a maximum period of one year.
a letter addressed to the Department of Employment, Ministry of Labour, requesting an extension of the applicant’s work permit for a maximum period of one year.
if requested by the applicant, a letter addressed to the Department of Public Relations, Office of the Prime Minister, requesting an extension of the applicant’s press card for a maximum period of one year.
The applicants will be notified through the MMOS system and his/her designated email when these letters are ready for collection at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Sri Ayudhya Road.
Obtaining the documents required for working in Thailand. Upon receiving the three accreditation letters, the applicant will have to contact the relevant agencies to obtain the extension of visa and period of stay as well as to renew his/her work permit and press card.
- A copy of the applicant’s passport (with at least 6 months validity).
- A copy of the extension of visa issued by the Immigration Bureau.
- The applicant’s work permit.
- The applicant’s Press Card (if applicable).
- A letter of reference/assignment letter from the headquarters of the applicant’s organization addressed to the “Director-General of the Department of Information, Ministry of Foreign Affairs” and confirming the appointment and job title of the applicant.
- Profile of the applicant.
- Profile of the media entity/news agency, including but not limited to its background, scope of work, circulation and names of related publications (if available)
- The applicant’s criminal record, issued by the country of which the applicant is a national or by the country of residence (if applicable).
- A copy of the applicant’s work during the year prior to the date of application, including work on Thailand. 1
- Evidence of the applicant’s income and tax payment in Thailand if the applicant has had any taxable / assessable income.
Note 1 Renewal applicants are required to supply articles/reports that they have produced in the past year that relate to Thailand and/or countries in the region they had been assigned to cover under their contract. At least five samples are required, though more may be requested on a case-by-case basis when deemed necessary.
For renew application, the process takes approximately one month. It is advisable that applicants of this category submit their application at least one month but not more than two months before their media visa expires.